Warm Beet & Spinach Salad
This warm spinach and beet salad is the perfect example of creatively using what the season offers. if you have cooked beets on hand, you can have it ready in just a few minutes.
• 8 cups baby spinach
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
• 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
• 2 tablespoons sliced Kalamata olives
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 2 cups steamed beet wedges, or slices, 1/2-1 inch thick (see tip)
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Place spinach in a large bowl.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, olives, parsley and garlic and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, about 3 minutes. Add beets, vinegar, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the beets are heated through, about 1 minute more. Add the beet mixture to the spinach and toss to combine. Serve warm.
1. To steam on the stovetop: Place in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a large pot. Cover and steam over high heat until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. To steam in the microwave: Place in a glass baking dish, add 2 tablespoons water, cover tightly and microwave on High until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
122 calories | 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono) | 0 mg cholesterol | 17 g carbohydrates | 4 g protein | 4 g fiber | 351 mg sodium