Homemade Granola Bars
This recipe is super yummy and flexible! Below is our favorite cereal version, but there are many ways to tweak the recipe depending on your preferences.
• 3 1⁄2 cups rolled oats (if you want bars use steel cut oats so it will stick together better)
• 1 cup raw sliced almonds
• 1 cup raw cashew pieces (or walnuts or pecans)
• 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (or sweetened if you prefer)
• 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
• 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup honey
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• Parchment paper
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Cover a rectangular baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix the dry oats, almonds, cashews, coconut, seeds and spices together in a large mixing bowl.
3. Heat the butter and honey together in a small saucepan over low heat. Once the butter melts stir in the vanilla and salt.
4. Pour the hot liquids over the dry ingredients and stir together with a rubber spatula until evenly coated.
5. Spread mixture onto prepared pan in one even layer. Bake for 75 minutes. The granola will become crisp as it cools at which point you can break into pieces (if making bars) or break it up into small chunks by pounding it in a zip lock bag (if making cereal). Store in air tight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.