Healthy Coconut Oatmeal
Start the day right with a mixed-up coconut oatmeal that actually helps lower your cholesterol. This warm breakfast is great for your heart and chock full of antioxidants.
• 2-1/3 cups plain or vanilla soy milk
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1-1/3 cups rolled oats
• 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
• 3 tablespoons and 1-3/4 teaspoons raisins
• 3 tablespoons and 1-3/4 teaspoons dried cranberries
• 3 tablespoons and 1-3/4 teaspoons sweetened flaked coconut
• 3 tablespoons and 1-3/4 teaspoons chopped walnuts
• 5/8 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt (optional)
• 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
1. Pour the milk and salt into a saucepan, and bring to a boil.
2. Stir in the oats, maple syrup, raisins, and cranberries. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium.
3. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in walnuts and coconut, and let stand until it reaches your desired thickness.
5. Spoon into serving bowls, and top with yogurt and honey, if desired.
Active prep time: 5 minutes; Total cooktime: 10 minutes
Nutrition Information Per Serving
(Makes 4) 272 Calories; 7g Fat; 2mg Cholesterol