While poison ivy, oak, and sumac grow primarily in wooded or marshy areas throughout Michigan, it’s not uncommon to find them in the suburbs or cities. These plants are not actually poisonous, but contain a long-lasting oil called urushiol that causes an itchy, blistering rash after it makes contact with skin.
A rash from poison ivy, oak, or sumac looks like patches or streaks of red, raised blisters, which won’t spread unless the urushiol is still making contact on the skin. To avoid contact, keep your skin covered by wearing a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, gloves, and closed shoes if you’re in an area where these plants may be lurking. You can also use a lotion containing bentoquatam, which acts as a barrier between urushiol and your skin.
Urushiol begins to stick to your skin within minutes of contact. If you know you have had contact with poison ivy, oak, or sumac, immediately wash the area with lukewarm water and soap. If water is unavailable, rubbing alcohol or alcohol wipes can remove urushiol. Keep the affected area cool, dry, and clean.
If someone in your household has poison ivy, oak, or sumac, you can’t “catch” it from them, even if you have contact with the blisters. Only direct contact with urushiol causes the rash. Conversely, pets can carry urushiol on their fur and transmit the oil to humans. Make sure to give pets that have come into contact with urushiol a bath. Wear gloves to minimize exposure.
Contact your doctor if the rash develops close to your eyes or is widespread over your body. If needed, oral medications can be prescribed to help with swelling and itching. Go to the ER if you experience nausea, fever, shortness of breath, extreme soreness at the rash site, or swollen lymph nodes.
Never burn poison ivy, oak, or sumac. The smoke can be extremely dangerous, often resulting in hospitalization, and can irritate the eyes, nose, and respiratory tract. Instead, dress appropriately and dig out the plants, getting as much of the root as possible. Put the plants in a plastic trash bag and dispose of them. Be careful, urushiol remains active even on dead plants.